When I asked How far can I walk my puppy? of several people, I received conflicting answers. A friend sent me the following image which illustrated just how long it takes for a dog’s growth plates to close and I wanted to ensure that I gave Freya the best possible chance of being free from joint issues in the future.
In the end I Googled – of course – for direction and found The Labrador Site had some really useful information. It covers
- Taking your new puppy for a walk
- How much exercise does a puppy need?
- How does over-exercising harm puppies?
- Different types of puppy exercise
- How far should my puppy walk?
- How much exercise is too much?
More technical information on bone formation and the anatomy of the growth plate can be found on the Vet Folio here